May 27, 2008

Rock 'n Roll Officially Dead

Over the years, the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame has made some inexplicable decisions -- Blondie (yuk), The Mamas and the Papas (triple gooey yuk), Leonard Cohen (rock 'n roll?), Miles Davis (huh?) But this year, they went too far. Apparently, for the first time, they let deaf people vote.

Electing The Dave Clark Five to the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame is like electing Neifi Perez to the Baseball Hall of Fame. It's like electing Dick Cheney to the Hunting Hall of Fame. It's like electing me to the Blogging Hall of Fame. (You know, some day there's going to be a Blogging Hall of Fame. I better start writing better.)

As a protest, I am officially hanging up my rock 'n roll shoes. I'm going over to easy listening or smooth jazz or something else really annoying. Nice knowin' ya.

Afterthought:
I'm in pieces. Bits and pieces.

After-Afterthought:
Rock 'n roll was a funny thing. Part of its charm was its shlockiness and the feeling that pretty much anyone could do it. Anyone, that is, except The Dave Clark Five!

What Does This Have To Do With Advertising...
you ask. I'm not sure, but there's definitely a creative connection between advertising and rock 'n roll. Maybe practitioners of both are just good enough to be entertaining but not good enough to be taken seriously. Waddaya think?

No comments: